Posted by Michaela LeMay | 12.19.2023 | Conservation, Sea Turtle Camp
‘Tis the Season
‘Tis the season to choose the environment! The holidays are in full swing around us and as you buy a gift, wrap a present, or take home leftovers from a holiday party, we encourage you to stay mindful. What are some ways to be more environmentally friendly this holiday season?
- Bring your reusable bags when you go shopping! At both, the grocery store and the department stores, make sure not to forget your shopping bags. Some stores have even been including them with a holiday purchase.
- Rethink using wrapping paper. Some people enjoy the unwrapping of a gift, and we understand you completely. Instead of buying a brand-new roll, opt to reuse some paper bags, newspaper, or opt for recycled material wrapping paper. You can also use gift bags over and over again.
- Bring your own Tupperware to the party! This may sound silly but there are two benefits to this. The first is that you are ready to take home delicious holiday food and it will store better in your Tupperware! The second is that you know you’re making a difference by not using plastic bags, wraps, or other single-use materials!
- In addition to the joy of leftovers, try to reduce your food waste this holiday season.
- Opt for the energy-saving holiday lights. Lights are one of the joys of the holidays, they make people smile and cheer, but you can make them even better by using energy-efficient lights and timers. This will even lower the electric bill!
- When gift giving, think of shopping locally or making a gift. Go a step further and think of gifts that will last for years to come!
Lastly, this is a perfect time of year to go through the pantry and donate to a local food bank. We all have reached for a can or box in our pantries only to discover it has expired. Wouldn’t you rather go through the pantry and donate before it goes bad? For those of us who are fortunate enough to have large celebrations, think of giving to those who need a bit of help!
If more people join in the fun of being environmentally friendly during the holidays, we can all make a huge difference!